Suggestions, Comments and Complaints

We welcome all comments on the services provided by the Practice.

We are continually looking to turn our patients’ feedback into real improvements in the services we provide. We use it to focus on the things that matter most to our patients, carers and their families.

We would like to hear from you if you have a suggestion on how we can do things better to improve our patients’ experiences. We’d also like to hear from you if you are pleased with the service you’ve received.

We’ll let the staff involved know and share the good practice across our teams.

Complaints Policy

We make every effort to give the best service possible to everyone who attends our Practice. Most care and treatment goes well but sometimes things can go wrong. If you are unhappy with your care or the services you have received, it is important to let us know so that we can improve.

There are 2 ways to tell Bute House what you think:

  • give feedback.
  • make a complaint.

You should make your complaint within 12 months of the incident, or within 12 months of the matter coming to your attention. This time limit can sometimes be extended as long as it is still possible to investigate your complaint.

Download our Complaints Policy.

How do I raise a concern / informal complaint?

You can speak to any member of staff initially with your concern/complaint. This gives you the opportunity to resolve any concern you may have without it going through a formal process.

Most complaints are best resolved within the practice, and these should be made via the Deputy Practice Manager.

Formal Complaint

What we will do

We will acknowledge the complaint within three working days and offer to discuss the following, at a time to be agreed with you:

  • The manner in which the complaint will be handled;
  • The period within which the investigation is likely to be completed; and
  • When the response is likely to be sent to you.

How to complain if you are a young person

If you are a young person and something goes wrong with your treatment, or if you are unhappy with the treatment or service you are getting, you have the right to make a complaint.

If you do not want to make the complaint yourself, you can give permission for someone else to complain on your behalf such as a parent, guardian or friend.

There is no need to worry if you do not want your parents to know about your complaint; all complaints are kept strictly confidential, except in very exceptional cases where we believe you may be at risk from harm. We can also help by making independent, confidential support available to you if you need it.

Interpreting Service

We can arrange for a meeting with the Deputy Practice Manager and an Interpreter for any patient whose first language is not English and needs help with their complaint.

NHS Complaints Advocacy

If you need any advice, help or support to make a complaint you can contact your local independent NHS Complaints Advocacy Service. Please follow the links below for details of your local service.


If you feel you need support in making your complaint, this is available through POhWER – NHS Complaints Advocacy. They provide free, independent and confidential support for people who wish to make a complaint about the care they have received from the NHS.

An Advocate can explain the complaints process, give guidance on writing an effective complaint letter and where appropriate you can have one to one advocacy support:

Telephone: 0300 456 2370
POhWER website:

Other ways to make a complaint

If you are unhappy with the care provided by us and prefer not to contact us, as of the 01/07/2023 you can contact BLMK ICB.

Telephone: 0800 148 8890
Write to: Enquiries and Experience Team Office of CEO & Chair, 3rd Floor, Arndale House, The Mall, Luton, LU1 2LJ.

Complain to the Ombudsman

If, after receiving our final decision, you remain dissatisfied you may take your complaint to the Ombudsman.

The Ombudsman is independent of the NHS and free to use. It can help resolve your complaint and tell the NHS how to put things right if it has got them wrong.

The Ombudsman only has legal powers to investigate certain complaints. You must have received a final response from the Practice before the Ombudsman can look at your complaint and it will generally not look into your complaint if it happened more than 12 months ago, unless there are special circumstances.

How to reach the Ombudsman

  • Online Support: Visit ‘Making a complaint page‘ and click on ‘Can we look into your complaint?’
  • Customer Helpline number: 0345 015 4033. (Helpline is currently open Monday to Thursday from 8.30am to 5.00pm and Friday from 8.30am to12pm, except bank holidays. Calls are charged at local or national rates.)
  • Website: